Are you looking for an easy meal packed with flavor this Meatless Monday? Welcome back to the Planet Forward blog, tonight we’re making an exotic twist on the concept of breakfast for dinner straight from chef David Chang of Momofuku acclaim. On the menu is roasted asparagus with poached eggs and miso butter. The recipe came from chow.com who was “given this recipe by David Chang of Momofuku in New York City after [they] fell head over heels for it during a visit there.” We also have some simple steps to help you perfectly poach an egg that comes from the Martha Stewart Kitchens at Everyday Food. Let’s get cooking.
Roasted Asparagus with Poached Eggs and Miso Butter
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
• 2 tablespoons white miso paste
• 1/2 teaspoon sherry vinegar
• 1 bunch thin green asparagus, bottom ends trimmed (about 1 pound)
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 2 large poached eggs
1. Heat the oven to 475°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Combine butter, miso paste, and sherry vinegar in a small bowl and stir until smooth. (Mixture will be thick.) Set aside.
2. Place asparagus in a single layer on a large, rimmed baking sheet, coat with olive oil, and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place asparagus in the oven and roast until it is knife tender and lightly blackened, 12 to 15 minutes.
3. To serve, place miso butter on plate, top with roasted asparagus, and a poached egg.
1. In a 12-inch straight-sided skillet, heat 2 inches water over medium until bubbles cover the bottom and sides of pan. Crack each large egg into a separate small bowl (do not use eggs with broken yolks). When a few bubbles have broken the surface of the water, gently pour each egg into the pan, leaving room between them.
2. Cook eggs, undisturbed, until white is just set and yolk is still runny, 3 to 4 minutes. Use a rubber spatula to gently release eggs from the bottom of pan, if necessary.
3. Using a slotted spoon, remove eggs from water. If using immediately, blot the bottom of the spoon on a paper towel to remove excess water before serving.
The recipe for roasted asparagus with poached eggs and miso butter will yield two servings. This Meatless Monday recipe elevates simple ingredients into an elegant and exotic meal that will start your week off right. To complete the offering serve with toasted brioche and some white wine as it pairs well with asparagus. The best part about this meal is that you control every ingredient. Enjoy!
Planet Forward is an online retailer of ethically-made, earth-friendly products designed for everyday use with a distinctly urban feel. Products include reusable stainless steel bottles, stainless steel thermal travel mugs, waste-free lunch bags, reusable shopping bags, Make-it-Yourself toxin-free Green Cleaning kits, organic fashions and other accessories. SALE 50% OFF ALL PRODUCTS – SHOP NOW !